Sunday, August 26, 2007

Articles Of Faith: Media's portrayal of religion skews to the right

Here is one of my pet peeves. This article, which can be accessed by clicking the link above, is about how conservative right-wing Christians get TONS more media attention that the group that actually comprises MOST American Christians. That group is the moderate - progressive Christians.

One of the first things that I had to come to grips with when I came to work in the Chapel of this liberal Northeastern private university was that I had to throw out the prejudices that I had against Christians. The people that I now work for and with are nearly all Christians, and in this environment, it is not the "don't talk about religion" environment of a corporation. Religion is everywhere, and everyone here has to deal with it all the time.

When I first saw my job posted, I saw that it was one that I am immanently qualified for, except for the fact that it was for a Protestant ministry. Instead of just dismissing the experience out of hand, I went right to the Protestant minister and said, "Hi, I am extremely qualified for the job that you posted, but you have to know right off, I am a Lesbian Pagan."

"Fine", he responded, "we don't discriminate on the basis of religion." He didn't even mention the "Lesbian" part of my declaration, because, as I was eventually to discover, the Protestant ministry here has a very high percentage of LGBT people as active members.

Far from the being the judgmental, Bible-thumping lunatics that are normally portrayed in the media, the Christians that I am surrounded by are caring, supportive, and emotionally available. There is always food here to share, people are always willing to help, or to offer rides, or just listen when I am having a rough day. And, the best thing yet, is that everyone knows that I am a Pagan, everyone knows that I am a Lesbian, everyone knows my partner, and everyone treats us both with all the honor and respect that they would treat anyone else.

While the media has told me one thing, my own observations have told me something else entirely. It is easy to see why many LGBT people as well as many Pagans believe that there is only one kind of Christian, and that is the late Jerry Falwell. In reality, that is no more true than the belief that all Muslims are crazed suicide bombers waiting for the next opportunity to blow up a bunch of college students in a cafe.

No comments:

Google